Tuesday, October 16, 2012

WTF?

I worked with a couple of guys today. Every other word out of their mouths was "faggot this," homo that," "that's gay," etc. At one point, one of the guys was talking to me, saying that he was very homophobic- and that was the word he used, he almost said it as if he were proud of it. I didn't ask him, he just volunteered this info. I quietly listened, not saying much of anything.

It's weird. Normally, when I hear people make off the fly comments like this, it doesn't really bother me. I guess I'm just used to it. Today was different. It didn't really make me angry- that's not the right word. I felt the stabs of the words they used, but they didn't seem to hurt. If anything, I felt like I had the upper hand in the situation, especially when the "homophobic" one was going on about being afraid of being the same room as a "homo guy," while completely unaware of the irony that he had been in the same room with one all morning, and was, in that very moment, talking to one.

I'm going to be working with these guys probably well into February, and I'm excited to wait for the most awkward moment possible, right after the most ignorant, stupid, and bigoted words have come out of their mouths, to reveal that I'm gay.


1 comment:

  1. really, WTF!?!?!?
    iḿ not surprised as down here people is still VERY homofobic (fag-killers we call them), even when Buenos Aires is promoted as "south America's gay capital"
    thought people in US were a little more enlighted, but it seems people is people all over the world, and in some cases, extremists of which torquemada would be proud.
    on the other hand, the more phobic a guy is, the more in the closet he is

    ReplyDelete